Local Community Workshops Privacy Notice
UPDATED 20 NOVEMBER 2018
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when Heathrow Airport Ltd (Heathrow) collects personal information about you when you take part in providing feedback to our Local Community Workshops, including via engage.heathrowexpansion.com. Heathrow is committed to protecting your personal information when you use Heathrow services.
Whenever you provide such information we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
What information will we collect about you?
When you submit feedback at a workshop or online we will collect the following information:
• Feedback you have given;
• Whether or not you have identified as living or working in the local area (Optional);
• The first five (5) digits of your postcode (Online feedback only);
• Demographic characteristics including your gender, age, disabilities and, if you submit your feedback online, your ethnicity and sexual orientation. You are under no obligation to provide us with any of these categories of information.
If you provide information regarding personal demographic characteristics this data will not be used to identify you, and will not be linked to a) your postcode information, b) the individual feedback you have given, or c) your answer to whether or not you live within the local area.
Heathrow collects information about how you use our website and the device(s) you use to access it. This includes collecting unique online identifiers such as IP addresses, which are numbers that uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet. For more information, see our section on ‘cookies’.
How will Heathrow use the information it collects about me?
Heathrow will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
• To record accurately and analyse any questions or feedback you have provided in response to the materials;
• To report on the workshops, setting out what issues have been raised and how we have responded to that feedback (identifiable personal information will not be identified in any such reports);
• To keep a record of sections of the community that have provided feedback on our proposals;
• To provide insight to assist with the development of our expansion plans.
If we collect and use your personal information in the course of running of a workshop, or before or after a workshop (including online through our website), our legal basis for processing your personal information is that it is necessary for our legitimate interest in receiving feedback on proposals and progressing our plans for the proposed expansion of Heathrow Airport.
Your information will be handled and will be used by Heathrow and our trusted third parties including professional advisers (including, but not limited to the following recipients):
• Heathrow Local Community Team;
• Atkins, who administer the workshop online tool;
• Wood, who will be analysing the feedback.
We will keep your information within Heathrow and our trusted third parties except where disclosure is required by law, for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies.
Your information is processed only in the UK and is not moved or transferred overseas.
What are cookies?
The cookies we and our third parties place on your computer do not collect personally identifiable information like your name, address or payment details. To find out more about cookies, visit www.aboutcookies.org
The privacy of your information is important to us and so we want to keep you well informed about cookies. We shall continue to work on initiatives in relation to recent cookie legislation to ensure you have the best experience when visiting our websites.
The different types of cookies we use
Heathrow use the following categories of cookies on our websites:
Strictly necessary – These cookies are essential for certain features of our websites to work. These cookies do not record identifiable personal information and we do not need your consent to place these cookies on your device. Without these cookies some services you have asked for cannot be provided.
Performance – These cookies are used to collect anonymous information about how you use our websites. This information is used to help us improve our websites and understand how effective our adverts are. In some case we use trusted third parties to collect this information for us but they only use the information for the purposes explained. By using our websites, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
How long will Heathrow keep my information?
Your information will be retained and held in a secure environment until our proposals for the expansion of Heathrow Airport are fully built and operational.
What rights do I have over my personal information?
Under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to:
• Obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you by making a subject access request.
• Ask us to correct any incorrect information we hold about you.
• Ask us to delete any of your personal information which we no longer have a legitimate reason for keeping.
• Restrict the processing of your information if we are using it for a purpose other than for which it was originally collected.
• Object to the processing of your information where this is justified.
For further information about exercising your rights, please contact: [email protected] or
Tom Stapleton – Data Protection Officer
Heathrow Airport Ltd
The Compass Centre
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection authority if you have concerns about how your personal information are being processed. Please go to www.ico.org.uk for further information.
Changes to this privacy notice
We will keep this privacy notice under regular review. At the start of this privacy notice we will tell you when it was last updated.